Friday, November 21, 2008

Kauto Star is back

I felt last weekend could be good and it was. Cheltenham lived up to its promise and delivered the goods in what would have been a quiet week. I successfully crashed in one of my biggest race totals for year last weekend and most of the other races went pretty well. I have put a more modest example on this post. It looks like the jumps season is well and truly back and with it some of the best jumpers.

Kauto Star made an impressive return recently at Down Royal, with a comfortable victory. Paul Nicholl's runner returns this weekend in the Lancashire Chase, now renamed after the sponsors, and is a very short price. After the Gold Cup turned out to be a bit of a let down last year , lets hope Denman and Kauto Star can produce a classic next March.

Kauto Star's short price will make this race very difficult to trade, I've no doubt I'll have a good crack at it though. With such a short field and price it really boils down to whether even more money will come for the favourite or against it. Not much else will matter in this market. Good luck if you have a go at this one, there should be lots of money in the market in the run up to this race.

Talking of money, the Scoop 6 jackpot on the tote has reached lottery proportions this weekend. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and what effect that will have on the market. I've been doing my maths behind the scenes and while I wouldn't usually touch the tote with a barge pole, it has set my mind in motion. I sense a lot of casual punters will have a go at the weekend, but I suspect, given my train of thought, a lot of not so casual punters will as well. It's too late for me to do anything in particular on this occasion but I have firm idea of what I will do next time. For this weekend it will be a purely paper exercise. Good luck if you have a punt on the scoop 6 this weekend, the prize fund certainly makes it worth a go.