Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Santa fails to deliver

Woke up this morning to see snow on the lawn, earlier than for a few years. A cold wind is a blowing and that means we are well and truly past the flat season and into the winter months. This is a time to hunker down and get the best out of some generally pretty awful, usually weather affected, cards. On the flip side days are shorter and this offers the chance to get a bit of my life back and do some other things. Missing a card on a Monday or Tuesday isn't going to break the bank at this time of year and the earlier finish means I can have tea with the kids and go to the gym etc.

The tenuous link in the header was to the Breeders cup in Santa Anita. I must say it was a little dissapointing. I did well last year, but struggled a bit this year. With the long gaps between races the money sort of flopped into the markets and never really created many clear cut opportunities. It did the same last year but the last two races more than compensated for the rest of the card. This year almost the opposite happened and the latter part of the card was poor. On the Breeders cup classic I managed to only do less than 1/3rd of my total from last year but on the I still managed to have a record day. No surprise really, given the huge number of races on the card. I haven't posted up the P&L for the day as I think that would set unrealistic expectations. You'll just have to guess what the total was!! But here is the last race at Santa Anita, somewhat short of the £300+ of last year.