Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Can't see the wood for the trees


I've had an interesting start to the week. On Monday my router started dropping out, I traced the source to an intermittent electricity supply. I phoned the electricity company and they said they would come out and look into it. Yesterday they turned up and promptly cut all the power off without warning, right in the middle of trading!

Having a back up is always an essential part of your plan. For planned outages or unexplained issues I have at least three additional locations I can rely on. When my connection seems unstable or my main location is unsuitable, having somewhere else to trade from is obviously very useful. Even then I always have a laptop with decent battery life and a 3G modem to use. This came in handy yesterday when the power failed I just turned to my left and carried on. Even then I needed to immediately think about a back up plan. If you have exhausted all alternatives, there is another location you can trade from if the situation requires, your car!

As we were mid session yesterday I really had no alternative but to jump in the car. It may seem odd, but I knew the battery power I was on would die so I needed to find another battery to run off and there was a big one on four wheels in the drive. I also had another cunning plan up my sleeve. I knew the location of the local cellular mast. Therefore I immediately drove to that location and enjoyed an afternoon trading in the country side! I saw six pheasants, two deer, several rabbits, an Owl and one bemused jogger. I decided that driving into the woods surrounding the mast was more pleasant than directly next to it.

In the end I got a reasonable total for the day. It shows that trading on the move via 3G is perfectly viable. While it makes sense to use all the best available equipment I am tempted to start doing this more often. The only negative on the day was that on my way out of the woods I accidentally reduced the pheasant population by one, still that was dinner sorted!