Friday, August 29, 2008

The week that almost wasn't

Well that was a 'interesting' week. You wouldn't expect summer to create so many problems, but given last years summer, I guess it wasn't exactly unexpected! It's just that this year the timing was so much worse than last year. For most of the week I thought I was headed for a very poor week, if not the worse for the last couple of years. Thank fully the re-arranged fixtures on Friday and Saturday meant I could really get stuck into a few things and ended the week well. As normal, a bad start didn't mean a bad week.

I wasn't sure how they re-arranged cards would work as the shuffling at Cheltenham earlier this year pretty much killed the additional races when crunched into other days. The York fixtures seemed to perform ok. It did take a bit of getting used to though as I managed to lose £133 on the first race. My worse loss for some time and very unusual. That unnerved me a bit but a few races later and I had got the measure of the market and things turned around very firmly in my favour.

Now the week is over we can consign it to history and focus on getting the best out of the the transitional period from flats to jumps and evening to AW evening racing. I can also leave my desk and get out of the house for a bit! Summer has been excellent and much better than I forecasted but it's a relief that this busy period is over and I can start getting a life.