Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Juddmonte Joke!

Well I say joke, it wasn't very funny! After a tough week where opportunities were difficult to come by I was really hoping for a storming end to the week, It almost ended in disaster.

There were a number of target races I had in mind for Friday and Saturday. I decided I would let rip on each to try and get a better result on the week, mainly because most of it had been wiped out by the weather. One of those was the Juddmonte.

It may surprise some of you but I actually do two things that would seem very alien to a lot of people, especially traders. I bet at SP and take positions in running deliberately. I feel the horror expressed over the ether at the thought of these things. However, If you think intelligently there are actually a number of reasons why you would want to do this. However, there are risks.

My taste for SP betting has been quenched quite a bit by the problems I have seen with slow or errant starters. People with faster pictures are deliberately manipulating prices at SP and this has curtailed my enthusiasm for this type of betting. If Betfair corrected this error my volume would triple or quadruple to substantial numbers, as it is I careful pick and chose my targets now on much lower volume.

Anyhow, the point being, that on Saturday Betfair failed to turn the Juddmonte in running and this must have caused complete carnage on the biggest race of the week. On this occasion I got away with it but I guess others were not so lucky. The explanation was 'technical reasons' but little other information was given. I can't think what technical reason would cause all races other than the biggest of the week to go in running correctly? All mention of this error has now disappeared from the Betfair site, but thanks to this post it will not be forgotten.